Faculty Senate Retreat Minutes
August 21, 2009
Attendance: Shane Anderson, Mary Bantell, Bilaye Benibo,
Kakali Bhattacharya, Niki Changchit, Kristen Davis, Chuck Etheridge, Sherrye
Garrett, Ajay Katangur, Louis Katz, Yolanda Keys, Karen Loveland, Margaret
Lucero, Ahmed Mahdy, Ruby Mehrubeoglu, Michael Moody, David Moury, Karen
Paciotti, Mark Pfeifer, Nancy Rogers, Elizabeth Sefcik
Officio: Christine Silliman
AM meeting called to order
II Retreat overview and agenda
and actions from the 2008-2009 year
V New processes and procedures
1. Have been working closely on security and WebCT issues.
2. New version of WebCT to be available Fall 2010.
1. Also have a "system Meeting" at tthe TCFS meeting to discuss issues relevant to the TAMU system.
VI Committees and issues for 2009-2010
1. Changes in incoming students -- we had the largest freshman class ever last year. We know that GPA is the strongest predictor of whether a student returns after first year. We admitted 21% from the bottom half of the hs graduating class...and 30% of new admits ended up on probation last year. We may need to investigate.
2. Changes in the position and duties for Chancellor and president of TAMU college station. We need to keep an eye on what is happening with these positions.
3. Change in Coordinating Board policies related to new program development. Proposals will be opened to comment from other schools.
1. Quality and type of incoming students
2. Admission requirements for incoming students
3. Upward communication & advocacy for faculty to system & legislature
4. Raises for promotion not adequate. $3K/$5 not adequate...perhaps a % increase.
5. Campus safety -- parking lots/streets (promises not kept)
6. Pay equity (assoc below state avgs.)
7. Salary data collection & organization.
8. Compensation for independent study, dissertation, extra work
9. Meaningful support for international students (academic, communication skills, social support, etc..)
10. Technology access and faculty development for technology.
11. Communication...in general...admin to faculty -- more transparency
12. Faculty senate communication
13. Incoming ESLI students -- quality
14. Closing circle on evaluation of administrators, policies & procedures, disseminate info to faculty.
15. Curriculum changes by administration without faculty input justified by SACS
16. Academic honesty/academic freedom...turnitin issue
17. Scope of undergrad & grad advisory committee
18. Support for research for faculty and students
19. Lack of tuition assistance for family of faculty & staff
20. Calendar...lack of campus wide input
21. Tuition waivers for graduate students & grad assistant pay
22. WebCT upgrade
23. Remote access to office machines
24. Broader access to campus resources from off campus.
25. Library services
VII Listing of issues for 2009-2010 -- see
VIII Break for lunch
IX Identification of major themes in the issues
X Voting on the issues
of issues -- Benibo moved to combine technology category w/ infrastructure &
research support category,
XII Meeting wrap-up
1. Tentative meeting Sep. 8 (Tuesday). Will assign topics to committee at that meeting.
2. Committee chairs please schedule meeting with committee ASAP after Sep. 8 meeting.
1. Provost understands that he (they) can be excused from meeting at any time.
2. If there is a sensitive/contentious issue, we can use secret ballots. Christine comes prepared to conduct paper ballot voting. Any senator can request paper ballots.
3. We can close the meetings when necessary.
4. A senator suggested that if a faculty member sees an item on the agenda that they believe would be better discussed privately to let the speaker know.
5. A senator suggested we have a faculty listserv. One option is to have an open listserv that allows anyone to post anything. Another option is to have one limited to faculty senate. Discussion followed.
6. Meeting adjourned