Faculty Senate Minutes
September 16, 2005

Present: Bickley, Buck, Causgrove, Cook, Fugate, Garcia, Harper, Hartlaub, Ivy, Ledbetter, Melrose, Oliver, Pohan, Talley, Thomas, Waheeduzzaman, Winston, Yellen

Absent: Carroll, Friday, Hill, Layman, Willman, Wingfield

Guests: Cunningham


I. Call to Order & Introduction of New Senator
A. Ivy called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m. She introduced our newest Senator from the College of Education, Cathy Pohan.
B. Ivy requested that we re-adjust the agenda, to accommodate the Guest Speaker and the Provost’s schedules.


II. Guest Speaker: Gary Cunningham, Associate Director, Admissions and Records
A. Banner & Luminis are new computer systems that TAMUCC will be implementing in the future.
B. Banner replaces the outdated SIS student information system and is completely web-based, similar to Web-for-Faculty/Advisors. It has an enhanced student component and financial aid component as well as a superior Web-for-Faculty/Advisors and Web for Students component. Banner will provide the most current technology, using an Oracle database and allowing almost 24 hour per day, 7 day per week access to the system from the office or home.
C. Banner also assists with workflow - items that flow into Banner, which need to be signed off by a Department Chair, Dean, Faculty Senate, and the Provost, can be put in a process workflow, so that when one step is done, it automatically triggers the next step. As an example, when a new Course is added or an existing course is changed, papers are signed and routed, via campus-mail, to the Provost's office and to Admissions & Records. If they are lost, changes are not made. This feature should help keep track of documents.
D. Luminis is a dynamic new product, a web portal, which will be a single source for the campus community to communicate with the student as well as with other Faculty and staff. As soon as the student (or Faculty or staff) logs-in to Luminis, the system "knows" the characteristics of that person and tailors its communication accordingly. The web portal contains multiple channels of information which includes a public information area (i.e. Campus Announcements), and more important, a private information area where a "directed" message can be sent by the Faculty, Advisors or staff. When “Gary Cunningham” logs on as a student, a faculty member can direct a message to that particular student, with a message, for example, “see me; you are missing too many classes.” Advisors and administrators can also communicate with a student. We will be able to set up “Channels” for different University groups, for example, the College of Science and Technology, or Student Affairs. Staff will have a separate web portal. Faculty will have their own web portal. These portals can be customizable and information can be shared, such as class rosters, calendars, etc.
E. Luminis Data Integration (LDI) is an extension to the Luminis product and will provide an interface between WebCT and the Banner system; allowing grades to flow from WebCT right into the Banner grading system.
F. The timeline will allow for a 2 year process. They have finished project definition, project organization and planning. Implementation and testing will take place between now and April 2007 when both the Student and Financial Aid components "go live" for Fall 2007. CBM reports (official reports to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board) are included. The Admissions process will "go live" in September of 2006 to receive applications for Fall 2007. Luminis does not have a defined timeline as yet.
G. Banner is more of a completed product; we customize it to our needs and start it up. Luminis is much more individualized, we will work with a consultant, who gathers information on what we want, and goes back to design the software to our specifications.

III. Provost’s Report
A. Update on S&T Dean Search
The college has been notified that the search committee, headed by Dean Gigliotti, identified 4 finalists out of 38 applications reviewed. The candidates will begin coming for interviews the last week of September. They will be here for 2 full days, with a public presentation for anyone to attend on the 2nd day of the interview from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. The candidates and their schedules are as follows:
1. Dr. Frank Pezold, of the Museum of National History from Louisiana. There will be a public presentation for anyone to attend on Tuesday, September 27 from 2-3:30 pm, location to be announced.
2. Dr. Harold Ornes, a botanist and Dean of the College of Science at the University of Southern Utah, will be interviewing Sept. 28, 29, with the public presentation to be held on Thursday, September 29, from 2-3:30 p.m. in the UC Lone Star Ballroom 142 A.
3. Dr. Barbara Hetrick will be interviewed on October 3 and 4, with a public presentation on Tuesday, October 4, from 2-3:30 in UC Bayview Room 320. She is also a botanist.
4. Dr. Emir Macari, Dean of the College of Science, Mathematics and Technology at the University of Texas at Brownsville, will interview on October 5 and 6, with a public presentation from 2-3:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 6th, in the UC Bayview Room 320.
Everyone is asked to provide input, especially regarding a candidate one might see as unacceptable. The committee will also ask for strengths and weaknesses of acceptable candidates. Ivy asked about public information about these interviews for the campus community and offered to send out announcements to all faculty members.

B. Update on Momentum 2015
1. Academic programs are taking each of the 12 imperatives, to see what needs to happen this year, eventually looking 3 and 5 years ahead. We want to identify who is responsible, and when should each item happen. Then each college needs to do the same thing, and each department. Colleges need to look at how each department and planning unit fits in, asking what do we need to do for 1, 3, and 5 years down the road. We will re-examine Momentum 2015 after 5 years.
2. They took the concrete things in Momentum 2015 and began planning those. Mr. Lovitt is in charge of the campus master plan, and there is a lot in Momentum 2015 dealing with the physical plant. There is academic representation already nominated for the Master Plan committee; there will be 2 faculty members, 2 deans and librarians to represent the academic program.
3. We will establish a committee of key leaders in the region to talk about degree programs the community needs and views as important.
4. There will be a faculty/administrative task force to look at our administrative structure. They will look at the question, “Are we organized correctly?” It might be better to have some of the units that report directly to the President, such as South Texas Institute for the Arts, Athletics, and the Harte Research Institute, report to a Vice-President. The President may not always be available to attend to things that need immediate action. They may look at the Provost’s structure, for example, having the Women’s Center, or other units report to Dave Billeaux, the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs. The group will consist of faculty from each college, a small group. They want people with organizational expertise. They need people to look at the structure objectively. They are currently asking the College of Science and Technology to look at different structures to suggest to the new dean. The task force should be up and going in November with the rest of year to work on recommendations.
5. Billeaux will start work on the global initiative. He has 50 people already interested. If you would like to be on it, or know someone who would, please let him know. It should start in October.
6. We did get into Southland Conference, and will be implementing that change. The President’s Cabinet will take responsibility for this.
7. We may revisit our aspiration universities. Most of the implementation plans measure us against our peers. We might want to measure against a school we want to be like in 10 years. It will help us define our goals and plans to get there.

C. Changes in travel reimbursement
Lodging has gone up from $80 to $85 per night, meals up from $30 to $36 per day, and mileage up from 40.5 to 45 cents per mile. There has been a slight increase on everything. Ivy raised a question about food receipts now being required and a change connected to the day you return, whereby you may not get full per diem. There has always been a rule that a day trip gets no meal reimbursement.


D. Hurricane planning/info on Katrina evacuees (students)
We have 11 students who were planning to go to school in New Orleans and are now here. We had wanted them all to be in by last week, but we allowed one in this week. We don’t anticipate any more due to the lateness of the semester. The President is asking Jim Needham, Dean of Community Outreach, to coordinate our relief efforts. If a student club; or organization is doing something, please coordinate it through him. There are a couple of professors from various New Orleans universities asking for lab space, server space, or office space to continue their work. They are talking to the Dean’s Council to make this available, if possible. The Chronicle of Higher Education lists universities affected by Katrina which are closed for the semester.

The Provost is concerned about the post-storm plan. We need to get more information out to our work force and contact points. Tulane had an emergency web site, so the President could communicate with staff. Harper recommended we do a lot of post-storm planning before we get a hurricane here.

Buck asked if we could use the Celanese campus for a back up campus, as it is built to withstand a Force 5 storm. We will be learning lessons from the disaster in New Orleans.


E. Other questions for the Provost?
Ledbetter said that the City of Corpus Christi is looking at Hurricane Preparedness and post-storm planning. She said the city was able to meet the needs of the New Orleans refugees because of the planning they had done. Thomas expressed concern about dangerous research materials. The Provost said that buildings are not as much of a problem; most of the new buildings are designed for winds up to 120 miles an hour (without projectiles).

A question was asked if all of our WebCT servers are on campus. The Provost said yes, and we need to look at providing a mirror server in another location. Our plan is to have a big bunker with sensitive equipment up high to withstand the storms.

Garcia mentioned that his collaboration group is talking about providing space for professors.

Cook is on a community committee which has scheduled an area-wide mock disaster over 2-3 days. The University should be a part of that planning process. They have planned a disaster drill, with refineries, sheriff’s departments and other agencies participating. The Provost will check on whether we were invited to participate and, if not, begin a collaboration.

IV. Approval of the Minutes of the August 26 meeting (attachment)
It was moved and seconded to approve minutes. Again this month, some Senators did not receive packets. Ivy sent the Roster around for corrections to ensure that all Senators will receive packets and communications. Minutes were approved as written.


V. Committee Reports
A. Academic Affairs Committee – Waheed
A meeting is scheduled next week.

B. Awards/Bylaws/Election Committee -- Special Election – Buck
1. Harper was asked about the Piper award, and the suitability of submitting an applicant from last year. Harper replied that she knows of people who have received it on the second attempt. The Committee will decide whether to forward the application of the person from last year, or put up a new applicant this year. The committee will likely do a campus-wide call for applicants, with the committee to decide which candidate might be the best.

Harper explained that the Administration might have taken care of one of the Academic Affairs Committee goals, that of medical withdrawal. Harper said that if we follow the policy we have, we will be okay. It’s all in there, but has not been followed. After grades are turned in, if there is any retroactive withdrawal request, it goes to the Academic Dean’s Council. Grades won’t be changed unless it’s from the Dean’s Council. The Vice President of Student Affairs still has a call, but we need to modify the wording.

2. Buck explained that the Special Election in the College of Education resulted in the election of Senator Pohan.
3. The Committee is soliciting nominees for First Year Advocate Award. They are asking for nominees from those who work closely with the first year program. His committee needs to receive the nomination package by Monday September19th to submit by October 7.
4. The Committee will meet this Thursday (Sept. 22) to discuss the Piper award.

C. Budget Committee – Friday
Friday is at College Station representing us at the A&M System Faculty Senates meeting with the System Chancellor. Nine other universities have Faculty Senates. The Budget Committee has not held a meeting.

D. Committee on Committees – Ledbetter
This Committee will schedule a meeting soon. Dr. Chenaux, the Vice President for Student Affairs, contacted Ivy about the campus smoking issue and the medical withdrawal issue, and was given Ledbetter’s name as chair of the committee.

Hill asked to rotate off a committee, because she’s on three. Cathy Pohan was asked, and agreed to serve on the Faculty Affairs committee.

E. Faculty Affairs Committee -- Garcia
The Committee met on a policy to provide for complaints about small problems. They would like the policy to be very specific as to what is a small problem vs. what’s bigger, such as denial of tenure or sexual harassment.

Recommendations will be sent to Ivy for the Executive Committee to look at and then present to the next Senate meeting. Ivy reviewed the Senate process, with a committee meeting on an issue, sending an item or recommendation to the Executive Committee, the item then goes to the full Senate as a discussion item one month, and comes back as an action item the next month. Ivy asked and the Senate agreed to treat this issue as an action item next month.

A question was asked about how committees know what to do with the topics they were assigned. Some issues get sent from the Provost, or the Graduate Council. Others are generated from our list. In the committee you start working on the issues. For example, with Academic Affairs, they will look at the medical withdrawal issue. And since that issue may be taken care of, they will move on to plagiarism.

A discussion on plagiarism followed, in terms of the need to educate faculty and administration on plagiarism and our policy.

VI. Speaker’s Report
A. Update on hiring administrative assistant
There were13 applications and the position closed yesterday (September 15). Ivy and Bickley reviewed applications and have a short list of 5/6 people. The plan is to interview 3 or 4, with HR setting up interviews for next week.

B. Use of Senate conference room (reservations & office key)
Ivy asked that Committees coordinate through her to schedule use of the Senate conference room. She suggested it may be easier to use conference rooms connected with departments. A suggestion was made to coordinate conference room use via a web site.

C. Locations for fall semester Senate meetings
The sheet in Faculty Senate Binders is incorrect. All of Senate’s next meetings are in Tejas B.
Ivy asked Senators to please check information on the Senate roster sheet, for correct phone extension & mail unit numbers.

D. Sept. 30, New Faculty Orientation, emphasis on Students
Senate is co-sponsoring on-going New Faculty Orientations with the Faculty Renaissance Center. The first session is scheduled for 2 weeks from now, on September 30 in the Dolphin Room at the UC. Anyone can attend. Students participating will be talking about what it’s like to be a student here.

E. The Texas Faculty Association
This is a statewide organization which provides legislative briefing on different bills of interest to faculty members. They report a modest increase in funding for higher education for the next biennium. TFA intervened in a bill to regulate textbook use. There is also a notification on TRS changes for retirement rules.


VII. Other Business/Announcements/Adjournment

A. The faculty of the College of Science and Technology is working to come up with ideas for a new organizational structure for the college. The College of Nursing is getting ready to do the same thing. With a new Dean coming in for Sci Tech, since there will be changes, it is nice for faculty to have some input in this. The College of Arts & Humanities just went through a similar restructuring 3 years ago.

B. A question was raised about how department chairs are appointed. Generally that is a college or more localized decision.

C. A question was raised about people who take 2 Master’s degrees at the same time, and trying to apply hours from one to hours from another. A student doing this has to get the Graduate Dean’s permission, and Kathy Winston was asked to look up the particular details of this situation. This might be an issue for the Academic Affairs committee to look at.

D. A question was raised about the status of the Faculty Senate Suggestion Box. Ivy said that will not start until there is an Administrative Assistant on board.

E. Faculty then went into closed session. A motion was made at 4:00 p.m. to extend the meeting. The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m.


______________________________________
Respectfully submitted by Sally Bickley, Secretary