FACULTY SENATE AGENDA
BAY HALL - ROOM 126
September 16, 2011
Attachments are linked in line on the agenda.
- Approval of minutes, April 2011, Retreat August 2011
- Welcome and Introductions
- Meeting with Provost,
- questions about task forces.
- Discussion of New Rules and Proceedures to be sent to committees
- New Promotion Procedure
- New Non-Tenure Track Procedure
- New Faculty Rank Definition Procedure
- Provost has to leave by 3pm
Discussion of Provosts Task Forces
- Louis' Spreadsheet
- Public Access to course syllabi through Blackboard vs Digital Measures . https://blackboard.lancastergeneral.org/webapps/login/
- Procedures, Bylaws,
- Senators and Senate Standing Committees can submit items in writing 10 days ahead. Email is prefered by this speaker.See bylaws for specifics.
- Faculty can submit to Exec before the Exec meeting preceding the full senate meeting. This year they are the Thursday before the senate meeting.
- Speaker can place items on the agenda as emergency items.
- attachments, PLEASE electronically even if they need to be scanned. If hard copies are going to be brought to the meeting please inform the speaker and senate staff (Yvonne.Graham@tam.....) so we don't both copy them.
- Regarding Email to faculty at large through senate. Committee Business send to Yvonne and ask her to forward to [All Faculty] list, college lists or other lists. In an emergency Louis can also do the [All Faculty] list. Messages coming from other departments or individuals need approval. I would like to keep the senate email address for senate business only.
- ad-hoc committees (requires senate approval, appointed by speaker)
- Review of Bylaws
- Information Item Tenure Policy sent to System
- calendar committee rep
- University Center
- Retention: 10% improvement
- Academic Plan: perhaps 1 per college.We need to develop an academic roadmap to guide us for the next several years. There will be numerous components to this plan. Several include:
- New Program Areas
- Emerging Research 3-4 people
- Undergraduate Program Identity-I would also like us to discuss the development of a set of experiences that will span all of our majors and provide a distinct educational experience, beyond the core. These experiences could include: undergraduate research/creative activity, writing across the curriculum, global awareness, academic service learning, information literacy, environmental stewardship, senior/capstone experience, etc. Perhaps the undergraduate committee itself might want to take this on, or we could form a team for this as well. (6-8 people)
- Enrollment Management: How we grow will also be important. We will need to develop a plan that will guide us in our recruitment. This plan I hope to get started on and completed by October. I would appreciate, a faculty perspective on this team as well. (2-3 people).
Senate Committee Reports
- Sam Ramirez, presentation of CivilRightsProcedure
- Minor change to Tenure Rule discussion
- Report from Athletics-Swint
- Academic Affairs Committee
- Budget Committee
- Committee on Committees
- Faculty Affairs
- Other committees
Not all will have reports.
- Honorary Degree Committee-No Report
- Instructional Technology and Distance Education Committee
- Inter-Institutional Program Development Committee
- Parking and Transportation Committee
- Core Curriculum Committee (FC³)- Needs a member from Senate I think
- Student Publications Committee -This needs a new member
- University Center & Student Activities (UCSA) Advisory Council -Needs a new member.
- Undergraduate Admissions Committee- We need to have a rep for this on senate.
- Veterans Affairs- Chuck Etheridge
- Diversity Committee-Chuck Etheridge
- Graduate Council - Chuck Etheridge
- Honors Council- Bilaye Benibo, Cherie McCollough
- Enrollment Management Council -Bilaye Benibo
- Intercollegiate Athletics Council - Bilaye Benibo
- Student Success and Retention Council - Needs a member
- Undergraduate Council- Needs a member?
- University Committee on Committees- Karen Loveland ?